The Great Canadian Salad
- 1 cup black beans, cooked
- 1 cup lentils, green, cooked
- 1 cup chickpeas, cooked
- 1 1⁄2 cup pearl barley, cooked
- 2 cups arugula, baby (or spinach)
- 1 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, red; diced (approx. 1 whole pepper)
- 1⁄2 cup cranberries, dried; chopped
- 2 tbsp green onions, finely sliced (approx. 1 whole onion)
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 tbsp mustard, whole grain; mixed with salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
- Toss prepared pulses, barley, arugula, pepper, cranberries, and onion together in a large bowl.
- Whisk all vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl until fully combined.
- Toss the prepared vinaigrette with the salad. Season with salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Garnish with toasted sunflower seeds and enjoy!
Chef’s notes: This salad is great with multiple pulses, but if you only have one kind simply substitute and the recipe will still work well. The pulses and barley absorb much of the vinaigrette. Taste and season the salad accordingly with cider vinegar and salt & pepper before serving.